Welcome to the first of many blog posts on the newly renovated JACC website (we’re still under construction, so please contact us if you were expecting to find something and you haven’t found it). I’m Timi Poeppelman, JACC Events Director, and I’ll be your guide.
The 59th JACC State Convention gets under way on April 3, 2014. If you haven’t made hotel reservations—you should do so now. (More info about how to make a reservation.)The special JACC rates will be honored until rooms run out or until Wednesday, March 12—whichever comes first.
Here are some things to consider:
- Convention registration begins on Thursday at 2:30 p.m. and ends at 5:30 p.m.
- An adviser must be present in order for a school to receive it registration packet.
- The Instagram contest orientation will be at 3:45 p.m.
- Mandatory Photo orientation is at 4:30 p.m. and will include a photo caption tutorial.
- The JACCPALOOZA is an entertainment festival scheduled for after the awards event on Saturday, April 5—it will include a concert, casino activities, sumo wrestling, movie marathon and more. Cost is $20 online and $25 at the door.
- The comps at a glance schedule will be posted this weekend.
- Remember that each school needs to bring 2 AlphaSmarts.
- This year we plan to have two photo portfolio critiques: One on Thursday, April 3 and another on Saturday, April 5.
- The “Best Damn Journalism Trivia Bowl” will return on Thursday night, April 3.
- A Scavenger hunt for students is also scheduled for Thursday night.
- The debut of the “J Games” will occur on Thursday night and will be a fun way to interact with students from different schools.
- Writing Critques are back by popular demand! Last year we brought in professional to offer critiques on published work—it was a huge hit so it’s back. Bring no more than 3 published works to the critique signs-up will be at registration.
- Bring in info will be posted next weekend.
Next week’s blog post will feature the team feature coordinators. We’ll discuss equipment, rules and what to do BEFORE you arrive to the convention.