The 2019 Mid-Winter Faculty Conference will be held Feb. 22-24 in Cambria at the Cambria Pines Lodge. The program starts Friday evening and runs all day Saturday, ending at noon Sunday. The weekend also includes a no-host reception at the beach.
Many colleges offer faculty the ability to apply for professional development funding, so if yours does, you may want to put this event on your calendar now and start the funding request. If you need to submit a flyer or brochure – here’s one you can download.
NEW this year! For only $50, attendees can receive one CEU (continuing education unit) through Professional Development at Cal State Fullerton; watch for details.
About the conference
The Mid-Winter Faculty Conference is a two-day event scheduled each January or February at a hotel in the Central Coast area. The program provides community college faculty a variety of workshops focusing on the different issues involved in teaching journalism at the community college level. A featured workshop each year is an annual media law update.
In selected years there is a separate day-long Blue Heron workshop that focuses on teacher training in a single subject or skill set area.
- DRONES: Jay Seidel “How Drones Can Enhance Storytelling” (Test flight included)
- LAW UPDATE: Dr. Jason Shepard, Cal State University Fullerton on cases you need to know
- GAMIFICATION: Nancy Kaplan-Biegel, game on in the classroom
- JOURNALISM+DESIGN: Cecelia Deck, on new layout approaches
- COACHING THE NEWSROOM: Paul DeBolt on standards, newsroom culture, and advising philosophie
- STATEWIDE PROGRAM LAUNCH: Pat McKean on “Putting the First Amendment First on Community College Campuses” Roundtable.
- ALSO: prof tips, convention preview, JACC future
Registration / Why You Should Attend
Cost: $150; Register at jaocc.wildapricot.com.
Why you should attend
- The grounds of the Cambria Pines Lodge are beautiful, the beach is close, and the East Village is a short walk. Hearst Castle is up the road.
- Keep up to date with changes in the industry
- Get great ideas and share your own during the professor exchange session
- Preview of state convention
- Earn professional development credit
- RELAX… and enjoy networking with other advisers, instructors and professionals
About Cambria Pines Lodge
Book hotel by 1/22/19 for selection and JACC rate, call 1-800-966-6490. Book online at http://cambriapineslodge.com/grouplogin with the following case-sensitive group code and password: Group code: JACC* Password: jacc. Room Types Thu, Fri – Sat Standard $93-$102, $110-$119; Superior Cottages $136-$153; Large Suites-$195; Spa Cottage $195-229. Check-in: 3 p.m., Check-out: 11 a.m.